If you have a client you're representing become suicidal while in holding until the federal sentencing, what do you do

Memphis, TN |
Filed under: Professional ethics

If you have a client you're representing become suicidal while in holding until the federal sentencing, what do you do from the lawyer standpoint of this issue? Do you even have to do anything? Do you have to talk with client or are there any protocols?

I would contact the jail medical department to notify them of the problem. Depending on the problem, it's also possible a mental evaluation would be needed on the client. Meeting with the client is probably beneficial to make sure the he's getting the proper medical treatment.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

Professional ethics topics