If you have a CHINS in Massachusetts and you have run away, and due to that have a warrant, what happens when you turn 18?

Asked about 1 year ago - Millbury, MA

What happens if you are on the run with a warrant but you are soon going to turn 18? would the warrant be cleared because the CHINS has to be dropped when you turn 18? or would you still be in some kind of trouble? no rude answers please and thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael L Rich

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Though the CHINS case should be dismissed on your 18th birthday, the warrant may stay in the state Warrant Management System until it is recalled. You will want to be in touch with the attorney who represents you on the CHINS case and make arrangements to go into court to have the warrant recalled.

    Until the warrant is recalled, you run the risk of being held for the next court day if you are stopped for a traffic violation or anything like that.

    See my blog post about the law that replaced CHINS on November 5, 2012, which I have linked below.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this... more
  2. Michael P. Gerace

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is nothing that says a warrant expires on its own. People with 15 year old warrants get picked up. So, if you get stopped by a police office and he/she looks you up from the cruiser and sees that you have an open warrant, you will likely get arrested. Once you are 18, you can think about clearing the warrant yourself by getting to court and explaining it to a judge. You might want to consult and attorney first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,969 answers this week

3,186 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,969 answers this week

3,186 attorneys answering