If you have a 1099 with nonemployee compensation, how is a single individual supposed to file it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

No further details

1. Gregory Herman-Giddens

2

1

Answered . I assume that you are the person who received the non-employee compensation. The business that paid you is treating you as an independent contractor (whether that is correct or not under the circumstances I can't tell you without further information). You must file Schedule C with your Form 1040 to report your earnings and any expenses, and Form SE for payment of self-employment tax. You may want to have a tax preparer assist you.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

2

1

Answered . You file your 1040 with a Schedule C or C-EZ. This gives you a great opportunity to take business deductions, Examples are cell phone, cable, vehicle, home office, computer, and internet expenses in addition to other business expenses.

Get a professional tax preparer to help you.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.TaxEsq.com

3. M Kay Lewis

Answered . First, I should point out that marital status has no effect on how to report income received on a 1099 form. All persons, single, married, HOH, should report 1099 non-employee compensation on their form 1040 by using Schedule C or Schedule F depending on their type of business. Then on Schedule C/F you will also have the ability to deduct any actual ordinary and necessary business expenses related to that business (for which the 1099 was received). The net on that schedule is then also subject self-employment (Social Security) tax of schedule SE. The net income from the schedule is then placed on the front of form 1040 where indicated, and the SE tax is entered in the taxes section and added to any income or other taxes payable.
    Because the income was reported to you as 1099 income, the payer did not consider you and employee and did not withhold social security or medicare taxes. Thus YOU end up paying all the social security and medicare taxes that may apply to that income. It does cost you more to be a non-employee, but you do have the ability to deduct any applicable expenses you incurred to earn that income.