If you had mediation agreement signed by both parties involved in the divorce, when do you have to do the things mentioned?

Newnan, GA |

No dates were mention when things should be completed in the 2011 divorce mediation. Divorce final in Feb 28, 2013. Is that when you should do the things mentioned in the mediation papers? My ex is saying im in content because I didn't pay him 1/2 of the car note as stated in the mediation. I started paying him in March, 2013. please advise.

I would have to see both your mediated agreement and your settlement agreement to fully advise you on this. If the mediated agreement truly did not offer a date or any other guidance regarding when you were to begin paying half of the car note, it is certainly arguable that you are not in contempt.

I gather you made the big mistake of not having a lawyer, as a lawyer would have insisted on dates in any agreement. Absent a date, a judge would have to look at the agreement, guess what you and he meant, and decide on contempt. Since no one here has seen the agreement, predicting what a judge might do is impossible. Likely, if the agreement said pay half the car note, a judge will find that should have been done on the due date, so you may be in contempt. At this point, pay a lawyer to review your papers and advise you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Without dates enforcement will be difficult, although if this went back to court the judge would probably create one. This seems like a situation in which you both would be well-advised to work it out through direct negotiation or some form of alternative dispute resolution (like mediation).

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Recommended articles about Divorce