Skip to main content

If you had a psychologist and he refuses to give you a copy of your medical records. What are your options?

Havelock, NC |

I seen him for about 12 years. The last review some incorrect information was put into my records. I ask to get a copy of my records, but only records I gave him, and a few he had. I sent a letter in writing requesting all medical records. I sent it certified mail with return receipt.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Doctors must provide copies of records to their patients with a proper authorization. You may want to retain local counsel to get the records for you. Good luck.

  2. Ask again in writing, and if he does not comply, file a complaint with the Board that governs psychologists in your state. You use the term "medical records". If this person is a psychiatrist (not a psychologist) then it would be the State Medical Board of North Carolina, since pyschiatrists are MDs (medical doctors).

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

  3. You have the right to get a copy of your medical records. If he refuses to give them to you, file a complaint with the medical board for your state.

  4. Send him a certified letter, and have him sign an affidavit that the records are full and complete.

  5. Report him to the state licensing authority.

  6. In all due respec to the other responses, a psychologist is mandated by the APA not to provide records to the patient if the pracititoner believes the patient would be harmed by the disclosure. I suggest you request the practitioner to provide you with a reason for the reluctance to provide you a copy.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics