If you had a psychologist and he refuses to give you a copy of your medical records. What are your options?

Havelock, NC |

I seen him for about 12 years. The last review some incorrect information was put into my records. I ask to get a copy of my records, but only records I gave him, and a few he had. I sent a letter in writing requesting all medical records. I sent it certified mail with return receipt.

1. Doctors must provide copies of records to their patients with a proper authorization. You may want to retain local counsel to get the records for you. Good luck.

2. Ask again in writing, and if he does not comply, file a complaint with the Board that governs psychologists in your state. You use the term "medical records". If this person is a psychiatrist (not a psychologist) then it would be the State Medical Board of North Carolina, since pyschiatrists are MDs (medical doctors).

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

3. You have the right to get a copy of your medical records. If he refuses to give them to you, file a complaint with the medical board for your state.

4. Send him a certified letter, and have him sign an affidavit that the records are full and complete.

5. In all due respec to the other responses, a psychologist is mandated by the APA not to provide records to the patient if the pracititoner believes the patient would be harmed by the disclosure. I suggest you request the practitioner to provide you with a reason for the reluctance to provide you a copy.