If you get your case dismissed will your lawyer fees be returned?

Asked 8 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

if you can prove retaliation in a housing case and fight to get it dismissed will the money you paid to hire that attorney be paid for you/refunded

1. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Answered . Dear Brooklyn Tenant:

If the lease contains a so called "attorney fees" clause and the tenant prevails in the lawsuit, New York Real Property Law section 234 creates a reciprocal right for the tenant to recover her attorney fees from the landlord.

Moreover, the underlying statute provides additional right to recovery of money damages from the landlord.

Your attorney should provide more information.

2. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

1

Answered . I agree with Mr Smollens. Look to your lease, or ask your attorney.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . No, each party is responsible for the payment of legal fees. If you can prove fraud then perhaps the answer is different. Too few details exist here to know. Hire a lawyer and ask.