If you get DUI dismissed through a pre-trial diversion program, Will it still show as charge/arrest criminal record?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I got a DWI case dismissed through a pre-trial diversion program,
1-) Will it still show as charge/arrest criminal record?
2-) What will show up in a background check for employment?

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

9

Answered . Yes the case will show until you have it expunged from your record. It never "drops off." You will need to hire an attorney to do this.

2. Carmen Mae Roe

7

1

Answered . A successfully completed pre-trial diversion should result In a dismissal. If someone looks at your criminal history it will show you were charged with a crime and it was dismissed. You can have the charge removed from your record by filing an expunction to "seal" the criminal charge from public view.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have further questions or concerns.

Carmen M. Roe
    713.236.7755
    www.carmenroe.com

3. Richard Timothy Jones

7

Answered . A successfully completed pretrial diversion DWI will show up as a dismissal. To get it removed from your record you will need to have it expunged.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    512-495-1813
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin DWI Lawyer
    Expungement Lawyer

4. Lucio Antonio Montes

7

Answered . Yes, the charge and the arrest will still show up. It will show up as a case that was dismissed. Some of the contracts that people sign to receive the pre-trial diversion contain a condition that a person will not ask for an expunction sooner than a year or two after successfully completing the pre-trial diversion. Make sure that you review the contract that you signed and take it to your meeting with any defense attorney you wish to hire.

5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

5

Answered . You have answers from multiple fine Texas lawyers. You are lucky you live in Texas. In Wisconsin it is very difficult to get a dismissed case expunged or sealed.

It will also depend on what kind of a background check is done. If that check includes arrests, it certainly will show up.

Also, in Wisconsin, this would count as a "prior" if you were ever charged (again, in Wisconsin) with DUI/DWI/OWI. Wisconsin counts dismissed charges from other states.

If you do seek expungement there, I would urge you to do so with the assistance of a lawyer. Many courts will not give you a second chance at this.