If you get a DUI in another state, do you have to pay BOTH states a reinstatement fee?

Chicago, IL |

I got a DUI in OH 3 years ago with an IL license. I paid my dues, went to court and classes in OH. I have since then moved to CA and when trying to get a new license had to pay a reinstatement fee to OH. I was just notified that I have to pay IL a reinstatement fee as well. Why do I have to pay $500 to both states?

You have to pay two reinstatement fees because you were suspended in two states. When you were suspended and/or convicted in OH they only suspended your right to drive in OH. The OH DMV then sent notice to the IL DMV under the terms of the Driver License Compact. IL then revoked your IL license which revoked your right to drive everywhere. You had to complete the reinstatement requirements in both states to get your license and right to drive back. Since you haven't done so, you are revoked in IL. OH and IL reported their actions to the National Driver Registry.

When you moved to CA and applied for a license CA ran your information through the National Driver Registry. CA found the IL and OH actions, and will not issue a license until both are cleared.

DISCLAIMER- THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE AND DOES NOT ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CONSULT QUALIFIED LEGAL COUNSEL IN YOUR CITY OR STATE FOR IMMEDIATE LEGAL ADVICE.

You received a DUI on an Illinois license. it was reported to Il. Your license was revoked. The reinstatement fee for someone with a revoked license is $500.00. in order to clear the Il hold, you in effect must be reinstated. Illinois law makes no provision to credit a fee you paid to another state. After you start the Il reinstatement process, you may find that the $500.00 fee is the least of your headaches. They are not going to reinstate simply by collecting the fee. You will have to provide evaluations, treatement etc.

Because your license was suspended in Illlinois for receiving a DUI suspension in any other state, you must pay Illinois and Ohio. Its the law, sorry.