If you find out you got a case against the LAPD and the CA justice system, do you hire acivil rights lawyer from anywhere or CA?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Once you find out you go a case to sue the LAPD and the California court, do have to hire a civil /constitution rights attorney from California or from anywhere in the US?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would be wise to start your legal effort by consulting with good local attorneys who practice civil rights litigation. One of the issues those consultations will illuminate for you is that, in almost all instances, you do not have a case against the California court. Judges are immune from lawsuit for exercise of their judicial powers and duties. It is often an advantage in the civil rights field to hire an attorney who has prior successful litigation experience against the specific police jurisdiction and police department that you intend to make a claim against. But a good civil rights litigator can lay the whole process out for you.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Ms. McCall is correct. You cannot sue a judge/court. It is immune.
    I would also agree that it is best to hire local counsel. Local in my opinion does not include an attorney or law firm North of Ventura. You might try Mary Prevost of this forum,=. She has offices in the LA area and San Diego. I believe that se has successfully sued cops and enjoys doing so . She would give you a fair evaluation of your case.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more
  3. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Its a question of jet fuel. Do you want to hire someone from New York and pay for them to fly to California each time they have a hearing? Or would it be better to have local counsel?

    (Even moreso, do you want to fly all over the place interviewing?)

    An out of state attorney may have to use a local counsel under the Pro Hac Vice rules. So you will have that added expense too.

    Its your money, you can hire whom you wish.

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,217 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,217 answers this week

2,916 attorneys answering