If you find out you got a case against the LAPD and the CA justice system, do you hire acivil rights lawyer from anywhere or CA?

Once you find out you go a case to sue the LAPD and the California court, do have to hire a civil /constitution rights attorney from California or from anywhere in the US?

Its a question of jet fuel. Do you want to hire someone from New York and pay for them to fly to California each time they have a hearing? Or would it be better to have local counsel?

(Even moreso, do you want to fly all over the place interviewing?)

An out of state attorney may have to use a local counsel under the Pro Hac Vice rules. So you will have that added expense too.

Its your money, you can hire whom you wish.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

You would be wise to start your legal effort by consulting with good local attorneys who practice civil rights litigation. One of the issues those consultations will illuminate for you is that, in almost all instances, you do not have a case against the California court. Judges are immune from lawsuit for exercise of their judicial powers and duties. It is often an advantage in the civil rights field to hire an attorney who has prior successful litigation experience against the specific police jurisdiction and police department that you intend to make a claim against. But a good civil rights litigator can lay the whole process out for you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Ms. McCall is correct. You cannot sue a judge/court. It is immune.
I would also agree that it is best to hire local counsel. Local in my opinion does not include an attorney or law firm North of Ventura. You might try Mary Prevost of this forum,=. She has offices in the LA area and San Diego. I believe that se has successfully sued cops and enjoys doing so . She would give you a fair evaluation of your case.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Professional ethics topics