If you do not sign a police report, or statement that u made, is it considered an official statement that can be used in court?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

Police were called to a domestic violence scene, the accused left the scene and I talked to police, all he did was take notes, I never signed anything. The next day at court the report they wrote up did not reflect everything I said. I feel things were left out and worse accusations were added. Can this police report be used in court/trial against the defendant?

Additional information

Is this something I have to go through the process of recanting, or face accusations of a false police report?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David C. Newton


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your statements contained in a police report can not be used in a criminal trial. This is what we refer to as hearsay. You should contact the defendant's attorney and inform them of the incorrect statements.

    David Newton, Esq.

    This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Signing a police report is Irrelevant. Not signing the statement that you made it is a problem for the police and for the prosecution, not a major problem, but a problem

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more
  3. Edward Russell Molari


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I have to disagree with what has been said. Your statements to the police are admissible against you whether you sign the report or not. Your statements are considered a "party admission" which is an exception to the rule against hearsay. The very fact that you said them, and that you are now the defendant makes those statements (though, not the police report itself) admissible against you.

    That is why any lawyer will always tell you not to talk to the police or anyone else about a pending matter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,703 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,703 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering