If you declare bankrupcy chapter 7 and win casino money before the 6 months is up or discharged do you have to report it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hales Corners, WI

Or is it yours to keep. Does amount matter $500, 5,000 or 50,000. would you have to mention over 1,200 if you had to pay taxes on it. Do you have to tell the trustee? Does lottery work the same way.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I respectfully and strongly disagree with both of your first responders, only one of which claims to actually practice bankruptcy law.

    Post-petition windfalls are widely misunderstood, and mythology is rampant. The authority of a bankruptcy trustee to claim a post-petition windfall on behalf of the estate is limited to 11 U.S.C. 541(a)(5). That section of the Bankruptcy Code itemizes only three types of windfalls subject to inclusion in the estate. Gambling or lottery winnings is NOT one of the categories. I do not disagree that informing your own counsel is wise, and ideally your counsel is adept enough to consult the statutes and properly represent your interests against a trustee that might be inclined to bully or overreach if enough winnings are involved.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Jason Todd Studinski

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with your lawyer. I would expect that you will have to report income/assets. But,confirm with your lawyer.

  3. Eryk Christopher Gabhran Boston

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to your lawyer immediately. What will happen will vary with the amount and when exactly you won.

    For informational purposes only. Not legal advice.
  4. George John Dezenberg Jr.


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is actually a Supreme Court case that took up this issue. In a Chapter 7 case a Debtor had purchased a lottery ticket prior to filing but won the lottery post-petition. The Court ruled since he had the ticket (asset) the expectancy of winning was property of the estate. Having $2 in your pocket you can stick into a slot machine is not the same "expectancy" as having purchased a lottery ticket. If you get lucky at the casino or track post-petition the winnings are yours. If you hit the lottery, you gotta check when the ticket was purchased.

  5. Jay K. Nixon

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . A chapter 7 debtor with gambling winnings due to gambling which occurred after his case has been filed should usually not have a duty to share it with the trustee. However, just as suggested by Atty. Dezenberg, if the winning ticket was purchased prior to filing bankruptcy, the opposite would be true, unless the winning ticket was listed on the bankruptcy schedules, claimed as exempt, and the trustee had abandoned his interest in it. Even then, the trustee would have an argument that the value of the ticket was misstated, opening an avenue for him to challenge your discharge in bankruptcy, which can easily be reopened for up to two years after granted. If the ticket was purchased before filing and not listed in the schedules, the trustee could likewise challenge your discharge for dishonesty in failing to list everything. For these reasons, and as a practical matter, it would probably be easier and cheaper to offer something in settlement of such trustee claims rather than to litigate them to the bitter end. The outcome if fully litigated would be impossible to predict, but bankruptcy court decisions are always heavily influenced by the overall equities of the situation. Those who lose their discharge for failing to list trivial assets (such as a "not yet winning" lottery ticket) would often be folks who are guilty of other types of misconduct. Please do not assume that I am your attorney because of my response here. Call my office in Racine (262-633-3090 or email nixon@execpc.com) for clarifications or to make arrangements to retain me. Otherwise, I will not be taking any action on your case. See me on the web at www.jayknixonlaw.com. View over fifteen years of my past answers at http://www.lawguru.com/answers/search/attorney/.... Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

    My answer here does mean that I am representing you, so be sure to consult your own attorney before deciding on... more

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a form of bankruptcy where your debts are canceled, but some of your assets are sold to pay off part of your debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,965 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,965 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering