Skip to main content

If you cant afford a attorney but need to file to get visitation rights with your child can you get a court appointed attorney??

Columbia, SC |

I havent been able to see my daughter for seven years. i can not afford a attorney, how am i supposed to be able to take him to court to be able to see her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There is no right to court-appointed attorneys for civil cases. You have several options:

1) Seek out legal aid services in your area. The organizations that provide these services are usually non-profits, which receive grants and donations to help provide low-income clients with legal services. These services may not be entirely free, but they'll be heavily subsidized and cost the client a lot less than a private attorney. The demand always far exceeds the resources available, so they have long waiting lists and can't help everyone. But they can be invaluable, and the attorneys who work at such places tend to really care about their mission. A simple Google search reveals one possible option for you at .

2) Make it a priority. Ask family for help; borrow a bit; hire an attorney in private practice. If you're going through litigation, it's likely a big moment in your life - like buying a house, I always say - it's over something important. It's worth spending some resources and making some sacrifices, if the subject is a priority for you.

3) In theory you can represent yourself, but this is usually a very bad idea. You'll be held to the same standard of performance as an attorney.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Graves H. Wilson Jr.

Graves H. Wilson Jr.


Mr. Bodzin is correct with his assessment. There are many good family court attorneys in Richland and Lexington Counties. Call around. You may be able to find one who will assist you at an affordable rate.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer