If you are out on bail for a felony and you commit another felony while out out on bail...what is the statue of limitations?

Asked about 2 years ago - Key West, FL

What is the statue of limitations for a case in Florida for someone on bail for a drug case? 2 felony charges from May 2011 and suspected and charged with possession now in September2012. What is the statue of limitations on the initial arrest? If out on bail for more than a year can a bail be revoked? How long does it take before one goes to court if waiting for a trial date from a charge from May 2011?

1. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

11

1

Answered . I would be more concerned with your bail being revoked on the felony, which is currently pending. I would imagine that is a more pressing issue for you. Yes, your bail will very likely be revoked.

I strongly recommend you contacting a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to deal with your multiple felony charges. Even more importantly, you can begin developing strategies to deal with the potential of your bail being revoked and you potentially being taken into custody. Good luck.

2. William David Umansky

Pro

6

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hack worth.. The statue of limitations the least of your worries. You may be talking about speedy trial and that's another issue. We would need to know more facts. Your bond is more than likely going to be revoked unfortunately. Usually on a felony, the State has 175 days to bring you to trial from date of arrest. Not sure if your lawyer waived your right to speedy trial.

3. Jim Mitchell Medley

5

1

Answered . It sounds like your concern is more with the right to a speedy trial then with the statute of limitation. One year and even sometimes two years is not uncommon. It does not sound like delay will be a source of any defense for you.