If you are home schooled are you eligible to get emancipated?

Wynne, AR |
Filed under: Family law

Alright, I'm 15 soon to be 16 and I have found it best for me to be emancipated. I have a place to live and I am able to support myself. I find it really hard to live at home and be around my family. It's makes me stress very badly. It's seem to me that they won't nothing to do with me. It fight a lot; and it hard to focus on my life. So, if i'm home schooled would I still be able to get emancipated?

There are no "hard and fast" requirements for emancipation (or removal of the disability of minority) as it is called in Arkansas. A Judge looks at many factors, including ability to support your self and why you wish to be emancipated. If you currently have a job, I imagine you have some form of transportation (maybe a hardship license?); I would encourage you to call a few lawyers in your area and ask if they have experience in removing the disability of minority. They can give you better answers based on your situation and also explain how the Judges in your area view these actions (for example, here in northwest Arkansas, removal of disability is very rare and hard to achieve, as a matter of local custom; your Judges may be different).

In the meantime, I would be looking at trying to get my GED or other high school equivalent qualifications as soon as possible.

I wish you luck.

Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER: This response is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship. It represents only the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response is based on the limited facts provided, and might change given additional or different facts.

Recommended articles about Family law