If you are home schooled are you eligible to get emancipated?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wynne, AR

Alright, I'm 15 soon to be 16 and I have found it best for me to be emancipated. I have a place to live and I am able to support myself. I find it really hard to live at home and be around my family. It's makes me stress very badly. It's seem to me that they won't nothing to do with me. It fight a lot; and it hard to focus on my life. So, if i'm home schooled would I still be able to get emancipated?

1. J Jason Boyeskie

Answered . There are no "hard and fast" requirements for emancipation (or removal of the disability of minority) as it is called in Arkansas. A Judge looks at many factors, including ability to support your self and why you wish to be emancipated. If you currently have a job, I imagine you have some form of transportation (maybe a hardship license?); I would encourage you to call a few lawyers in your area and ask if they have experience in removing the disability of minority. They can give you better answers based on your situation and also explain how the Judges in your area view these actions (for example, here in northwest Arkansas, removal of disability is very rare and hard to achieve, as a matter of local custom; your Judges may be different).

In the meantime, I would be looking at trying to get my GED or other high school equivalent qualifications as soon as possible.

I wish you luck.