If you are flying internationally into the united states with a warrent, can you be arrested at the airport?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Boston, MA

if there is a bench warrent for a us citizen, can you be arrested at the airport you fly into if you are flying from another country?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . With news everywhere today on the Federal case against Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab - he was attempting to destroy Flight 253 on its final approach to Detroit Metropolitan Airport on Christmas Day - you know that ICE, TSA and all airport security is raised to a very high alert level domestically.

That arrest, by the way, happened here in Chicago. At O'Hare security is almost as tight as it was in the days following 9-11.

If you are looking for any attorney to tell you with 100 percent certainty that you absolutely will not have any problem, we would be professionally irresponsible to suggest you will not be stopped at the airport.

The authorities have discretion in these matters. Technically they could stop you.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.

2. Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

Answered . yes you can be arrested at customs if there is a bench warrant for you....the question is wether or not you will be arrested as that will depend upon a variety of factors including the type of charge on the warrant, location you are entering the country. Good Luck.

P. Darrell Kimbrell