If you are driving a company vehicle and you hit someone from behind does the company's insurance handle the case

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Was driving a company vehicle the person in front did not us signal to turn i hit them from behind in 2011 and now i just got a summons to go to court in 2013. Does the insurance company take care of the legale matters?

1. Michael Shemtoub

10

Answered . I would urge you to immediately contact the person at your company responsible for your fleet of vehicles. They will have individual information about where the insurance claim at that time went and if any funds were paid out at that time. Only once you have that question can you really know how to move forward.

If the vehicle was insured it should in fact cover all accidents, however if you have riders on your insurance that at fault accidents are the responsibility of the driver, you may need to contact an attorney.

2. Adrienne Patricia Allen

8

Answered . You should notify both your employer's insurance company and your own carrier. They will work out who will provide the defense to you and pay the claim. Good luck.

Pro

5

Answered . Report the accident to the insurance carrier of the company vehicle to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Neil P. Flynn

Pro

4

Answered . In New York, car insurance travels with the car. This means that the owner's insurance covers the driver as long as the driver has permission to operate the vehicle. You should refer this to your employer.

5. Glenn Stephen Guenard

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Mr Shamtoub & Ms Allen. You should be covered by your employer's insurance but you need to contact the insurance carrier or have your employer do it because you usually have only 30 days to respond. So....... You need to do this immediately!

6. Marc Sean Hurd

Answered . Other attorneys have answered this, but in CA, insurance follows the car. So, if the car was owned by the company, the company should have insurance to cover it. In addition, whether the company had insurance or not, if you were driving the company car on company business, the company would/could be liable for any negligence you committed while in the "course and scope" of your employment. That is why companies typically have multiple layers of insurance Including general liability, commercial auto, and even umbrella policies.)