If you are charged with a DUI and it is reduced to Reckless Driving, does that still count as a first DUI in 10 yrs?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

If in the future I got a DUI again, is that going to count as a second or a first? Which I hope will never happen.

1. Justin Spizman

Pro

10

Answered . No it would not.

2. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

10

Answered . The next one would count as a first, though most prosecutors will probably still recommend a higher than normal sentence since you have been charged before.

3. Michael M. Hawkins

10

Answered . No. But bear in mind that if you are charged with DUI again, your lawyer's ability to negotiate with the prosecutor will be very limited because of the prior reduction. Most judges will increase sentencing. It will not, however be considered a first DUI for purposes of license suspension and minimum mandatory penalties.

4. Jim Mitchell Medley

5

Answered . Only a conviction for DUI can serve as the basis to make a future DUI a "2d" offense. However, the prior arrest woudl affect the prosecutor and judge on what sentence you may get.

5. Jim Lee Whitlock

3

Answered . No you do not have a DUI resulting from the DUI arrest if you pled to a lesser charge of Reckless driving. However it may be important to remember that should you have an occasion to have a Judge or Prosecutor review your record for insight as to mcharging you or sentencing you on a subsquent charge, they can make whatever decision they want (legally) as to the fact you were arrested for DUI befor. I once had a prosecutor call the arresting agency for one of my clients prior arrest and got copies of the incident report and police report before he would make a recommendation. Most of the time the quest is have you had a prior DUI, and that would be no if it was reduced to Reckless driving.

6. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

Answered . Short answer - No it will not count as a first DUI if it is reduced to a lesser charge. Although we all like short simple answers, there can be problems if you are charged in the future with another DUI. Most solicitors and judges review a defendant's driver/criminal history. Previous DUI charges often result in less favorable negotiations with solicitors and harsher sentences from judges. I hope this information has been helpful. Good luck!! George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com