If you are charged with 3 counts of trespassing and 7 counts of larceny, what is the punishment.

Asked over 1 year ago - Kannapolis, NC

My boyfriend was scrapping and went to an a old house and knocked on the door but no one answered then went to the shed to see if anyone was back there because the doors were open, when he did a woman came out and said she was calling 911 and he got scared and left but she got his plate number. the cops found a few old tools from another place. But since he was arrested he broke probation because he just had one day left.

1. Ernest Clarke Dummit

Answered . He should get an attorney and plead not guilty based upon those facts.

2. Matthew Vernon Silva

Pro

Answered . The answer depends entirely on his prior criminal record. Trespassing is a class 3 misdemeanor (at least in the way you described the situation) and the larceny is most likely a class 1 misdemeanor (as long as the collective value of the tools does not exceed $1k and all belong to the same victim). If they are all misdemeanor charges, the most he can get is two sentences of 120 days (two larceny counts run consecutively). Get a lawyer and talk to him about the situation. The information you gave seems to be in your boyfriends favor. For example, if you stole 7 tools from one person in one transaction, that would only be one larceny.

3. Kimberly Ann Olsinski

Answered . I agree with the other responses that he needs to consult an attorney ASAP. Just because he was arrested does not mean he violated his probation, and under those facts he should plead not guilty in court. My office is in Concord if you would like to make an appointment, and we offer free consultations. Good luck.