If you are Black and you get a White public defender, do you have a constitutional right to a Black public defender?

Asked 10 months ago - Raleigh, NC

I think it is called a Batson counsel request or something like that.

1. Peter Christian Komar

18

Answered . No

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

13

Answered . No. Race has nothing to do with counsel. A Batson challenge is if one of the attorneys excuses a JUROR from the jury pool solely based on race.

3. Stephen F Wallace

11

Answered . As Mr. Solis said, you can always hire you own, but the Public defender is assigned. I am really surprised that you would think race would afford a better criminal defense. I know many of the Public Defenders in Wake County, and there are no slackers there.

4. Sarah Jessica Farber

11

Answered . The Wake County Public Defender's Office has some of the finest attorneys in the county, without respect to race.

5. Joshua Sachs

11

Answered . No. Batson is something altogether different.

6. Lynn Norton-Ramirez

9

Answered . No. If you qualify for the appointment of counsel, you do not get to select the race of your counsel. Your question is indicative of racism. I am a white attorney and defend all my clients with the same level of skill regardless of race. Attorneys work for the Public Defender's Office because they want to ensure that people of all socio-economic backgrounds receive the benefit of quality representation. A Batson motion is where one side removes jurors from a panel for racial or prejudicial reasons.

7. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

9

Answered . Case law firmly establishes that if you have appointed counsel, you don't get counsel of your choice and you certainly don't get your racial preference.
    As my colleagues suggest, Batson has nothing to do with right to counsel, it's a case regarding race and jury selection.

8. Jerome Weldon Matthews Jr

Pro

5

Answered . No, you do not have a right to a black public defender.

9. Timothy Foster Lloyd

3

Answered . As a former Assistant Public Defender may I advise that you do them a favor and hire an attorney?