If you are arrested for shoplifting in the state of North Carolina what are the charges for 1st time offenders?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, NC

It is first time. It was makeup total approx. $50.00 from Wal-Mart. Can this be expunged from your record? Bond was $1000 bail was $150.

1. Dennis H. Sullivan Jr.

4

Answered . You should hire an attorney to try and get you a deferred prosecution agreement. If you successfully complete a probationary period, then the charge will be dismissed and can be expunged.

2. C. Adam Barrington III

Pro

Answered . The only thing I will add to my esteemed colleague's answer is that some DA's permit defendants with these charges to do community service in exchange for a dismissal. That would save you from having to go on probation if the DA would be amenable to that. Contact a local lawyer ASAP to discuss your case.