Skip to main content

If you are a minor and you file a complaint to the cops about someone harassing and stalking you, will your parents be notified?

San Diego, CA |

This guy, who is 18, has been harassing me,17, and my gf,18, continuously through text messages after I have asked him to stop. She ignores him, never replies but he continues to send messages in the sexual nature, with me he tries to ask for a fight and talks derogatively about my gf. It is also to the point where he shows up at the same places we are or when she is alone he shows up, and even though he never approaches he just watches and sends text messages saying he is watching, a form of stalking I would say. His attitude is a type of obsession and I want him to leave her alone mainly, so if I go to the cops and complain what would they do? and would they notify my parents given the fact that I am a minor? I don't want this to blow out a proportion I just want him to leave us alone.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. There is no necessity to suffer harassment by text. Block the messages. Your e-device enables that ability relatively simply; anyone under 15 can show you how to do it.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. In most states harassment via electronic communications is a criminal (and civil) offense. Contact local police and make a report.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

  3. Although your question asks about whether the police will notify your parents if you make a report, I think you should really be more concerned about this individual who has gone beyond "text" and up to following you and your friend. I am assuming you are concerned that your parents would be alarmed and you may not look "cool" among your peers. Personally, if he is stalking either of you and "shows up places" he may show up at your home. Wouldn't you want your parents to know what is going on rather than be surprised.

    Please put your (and your friend's) safety first and make the report to the authorities. I also think it would be prudent for you to let your parents as well as school officials know what is going on as well. Unfortunately we live in a society where things escalate out of control and people (after the fact) wonder why no one did anything.

    It is not a sign of weakness, but of strength if you stand up for yourself and your friend. I wish you luck but more so I hope you both stay safe.

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics