If we move to my husband's parents' house right after applying for green card, what will happen?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Geneseo, NY

I am married to an American citizen and I am currently on F-1 visa, but we are going to apply for green card this month or next month, depending on when my parents in law get their income tax return. However, due to financial reason, we are thinking of moving to my husband's parents' house who is our joint sponsor in another state. (I'm thinking about taking a leave of absence this August.) My questions are: 1. Is it ok to move/change address before receiving NOA? (We want to apply before moving because we have a lot of proof that we are living here, but if we apply from my husband's parents' house we won't have lease or bills with our names.) 2. If we move, will we still need to establish proof that we are living in the parents' house and if so what can we prepare in our case?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

1

Answered . You and your husband are free to live whereever you wish.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

3

Best Answer

Answered . Use all the proof you gathered for the old address and a letter form your PIL confirming you now live at a new address plus whatever other utility bills with the now change address you will still have - cellphone and all. Do not forget to file AR11.

3. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

1

Answered . It does not matter where you and your spouse lives as long as you can prove that you are living together as husband and wife.