If we have a joint sponsor, does my spouse still need to complete a form i-864?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

My spouse has been in university for the past 3 years but works intermittently on weekend when she is able to do so. Therefore, she has not filed a tax return since 2010.

The fundamental question is whether or not my wife should ALSO submit form i-864 ALONG with the joint sponsor.

Yes.

Yes. The requirement is a statutory one. The joint sponsor needs to file his or her own I-864

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

If she is not a Co Sponsor, no.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

please explain Co sponsor

Yes

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Yes. Your spouse is the petitioning sponsor and he or she must sign and complete an I-864 form even if a joint sponsor also submits an I-864 form to meet the income requirements.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.

Yes. Assuming your spouse is a co-sponsor, she needs to submit her own Form I-864.

Marco Antonio Ruiz

Marco Antonio Ruiz

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney

Education law topics