If u run from a felony dwi how long do u have to stay away in the state of new york

Canastota, NY |

3rd dwi in ten years thinking about leaving the state

1. A warrant issued never goes away, even if you run.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. A warrant doesn't go away until you are returned to court. I would point out that if a warrant is issued you can be arrested anywhere at anytime. Running isn't really going to help you much.

3. You can't run away. There is no statute of limitations on a warrant.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. No attorney can legally or ethically advise you to run away. You will be caught eventually and when you are brought back, you will not receive any leniency and you might also be indicted on the new charges of bail jumping which can run consecutive to any sentence you receive on the DWI. Instead of running, you should be thinking about admitting yourself into an inpatient alcohol program.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 15 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by videoconference.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

5. The answer is "forever." However, no lawyer can advise you that you should continue to run from this problem. You could be picked up in any other state and extradicted back to NY. While you may be in a lot of trouble now, running will only make it worse. No judge will be happy about the fact that you absconded from justice to a period of time. My advice, contact a competent NY attorney and address this matter before it comes back to haunt you.