If two people are co-executors of an estate, Do they both need to agree on everything and both sign everything?

Asked over 4 years ago - Downingtown, PA

My nephew (located in California) and I are named co-executors of my in-laws' (They reside in NJ) estate. Will my nephew and I be keeping FedEX in business overnighting papers cross-country in order to have both signatures on everything that we attempt to do to close the estate?

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . If you really get along with each other, perhaps one of you could resign, but be kept up to date on all filings. But as always, there are risks involved by the resigning party. Otherwise you must continue the cumbersome arrangement. However, if you have an attorney who will copy both parties then a resignation may work.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has received a 9.7 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. James P. Frederick

Answered . You have the practical problem enjoyed by most co-executors. It is the one reason why I am sometimes hesitant to appoint more than one person. In almost all cases, both of you would need to sign, in order to do any administrative task. You can do this through the regular mail, if you like.

It is usually not that big of a deal, but can be an inconvenience.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick

It is very unlikely there would be any taxes owed. There is a step up in basis on assets when someone passes away, to the fair market value, as of the date of death. So the only time there would likely be a tax would be if you held onto the property for some time and it appreciated, after the death. That does not sound like your case.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick

******************************************
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Frederick is licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and has offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration.
    I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer.
    Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state.