If two friends are stopped for committing the same crime...*read details*

If two friends are stopped for committing the same crime. One admits and the other denies. Can the one who admits testify whether or not the one who denies is telling the truth? Would his eyewitness account be considered permissible in court?

New York, NY -

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

Yes---what it would be worth is a different question.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Criminal Defense Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

It is possible. That does not mean that the testimony will be extremely helpful. That would depend on numerous factors.

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

The DA could call the person who admitted as a witness but what is in it for that person?

Richard C. Southard

Richard C. Southard

While it is legally permissible, this usually only occurs where the admitting friend is cooperating with the State. The lawyer for the denying friend should be able to discredit the testimony based on the benefits being received by the admitting friend as a motive to lie.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Litigation Lawyer - Glens Falls, NY

Sounds like some kind of "thought experiment" or logic puzzle ("one of them is lying, and one is telling the truth, which one")?

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

Anyone's eyewitness account is permissible in court. It is up to the finder of fact (judge or jury) to decide how much weight to give to that testimony.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Wexford, PA

Based upon the limited information provided (btw don't post any more details on a website such as this), I wholly agree with NY counsel who have responded thus far. The situation you ask about gets considerably more problematic if both friends have been charged with the same offense(s). If you or your friend or both have been charged you guys need competent legal advice without delay.

Michael Douglas Shafer

Michael Douglas Shafer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Norco, CA

It could occur.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Madison, WI

:It probably is biased, but that goes to whether or not a jury/judge ought to believe it, not whether the testimony can be given. If you are one of these "friends," you should be talking to your own lawyer, not posting on AVVO.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.