If two dogs are off leash and a fight breaks out, which owner is financially responsible?

Winchester, CA |

one dog had to go to the vet a day later for $1700 of work, the other dog the owner did not feel he needed medical attention. Fight happened in a common area and the dog that had to go to the vet ended up bitting both owners as they tried to break up the fight.

1. Can it be etablished which dog started the fight?

2. Perhaps if one dog had a proven history of prior attacks it could establish liability. However, more probably both owners are equally responsible for allowing their dogs to be off leash. You could consult with an attorney who handles animal law matters.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

3. Simply report it to your homeowners insurance carrier to resolve.

4. That depends on more complete information. I won't guess. I certainly would like to know if either dog has a record with Animal Control. I'd like to know the training, supervision, and bite history for each dog. And, I'd like to know each owner's behavior during the incident. City and County laws might exist and bear upon liability.

Animal law topics