If two dogs are off leash and a fight breaks out, which owner is financially responsible?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winchester, CA

one dog had to go to the vet a day later for $1700 of work, the other dog the owner did not feel he needed medical attention. Fight happened in a common area and the dog that had to go to the vet ended up bitting both owners as they tried to break up the fight.

1. Michael R Crosner

3

Answered . Perhaps if one dog had a proven history of prior attacks it could establish liability. However, more probably both owners are equally responsible for allowing their dogs to be off leash. You could consult with an attorney who handles animal law matters.

Pro

4

Answered . Simply report it to your homeowners insurance carrier to resolve.

3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

2

Answered . Can it be etablished which dog started the fight?

4. Robert Andrew Michael Burns

1

Answered . That depends on more complete information. I won't guess. I certainly would like to know if either dog has a record with Animal Control. I'd like to know the training, supervision, and bite history for each dog. And, I'd like to know each owner's behavior during the incident. City and County laws might exist and bear upon liability.