If this is a defamation?

Brooklyn, NY |

I wrote email to some shareholders: "This is let you know that recently the Co-op lost small Court lawsuit index # XXXXX. The wrongful Board with Mr. YYY, Mr. ZZZ, and Mr. VVV spent several hundreds dollars for lawyers of this case and lost. " Could you please tell me if this is libel against Mr. YYY, Mr. ZZZ, and Mr. VVV if the truth is: a) the Co-op lost small court lawsuit index # XXXXX; b) the Board has spent several hundreds dollars for lawyers of this case and lost???

Its not defamation if what you said was all true

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160 www.pepperodom.com

Truth is a complete defense to defamation

But how about "The wrongful Board with Mr. YYY, Mr. ZZZ, and Mr. VVV" ??

It is not. Even if you are wrong.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

An important consideration in matters of potential defamation is that the complete defense of truth does not PREVENT you from being sued. The complete defense is asserted in an answer and is considered by the court down the road. Until that point in the litigation, the defendant who intends to assert that complete defense must appear and defend the case. that can be expensive, time-consuing, uncertain and effortful.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

If you made true statements it is not defamation.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.