If this is a a case that has to do with religious and racial discrimination, can I inquire about a person's religion and

Chino, CA |

nationality in either written discovery or in depositions?

Based on your question you are still in the "discovery" phase of your case. Requests for documents, written questions, requests for admissions and depositions are the primary tools used during this time and litigation. In California you may ask any question that "is reasonably likely to lead to admissible evidence at trial". Your opponent may only refused to answer the question if the answer is protected by privilege, for example the attorney-client privilege covers communications between an attorney and client.

This means that you can ask your opponent almost anything as long as you can think of a way that it could lead to admissible evidence at trial and the answer is not protected by privilege. You could ask them about their politics. It could lead to admissible evidence at trial. Maybe they are a member of a political party that promotes racial or religious hatred. You could ask them how they feel about the comments made by Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty as the answers could reveal a racial bias.

Before you answer or ask a question think, how could this lead to admissible evidence. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

2. Certainly. The plaintiff has put his or her religion and nationality at issue in the case, so it's obviously relevant and appropriate to ask about it...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. Yes.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. You should be aware that no attorney-client relationship is established through this answer and none will be established without a personal consultation and the signing of an engagement agreement.

4. I think the prior responders assume that you are defending a religious discrimination claim. And that may be correct.

But your question makes more sense to me if I assume that you are the claimant and you are asking whether you can inquire about the religion or religious beliefs of a representative of the employer. The answer to that question is far less easily answered. Certainly, if your theory of liability is that an employer/manager/supervisor's religious beliefs caused or prompted conduct that constituted unlawful religious discrimination against you, you may develop that theory in detail in pre-trial discovery. Similarly, the issue of a manager's religion or religious beliefs can be relevant and probative if you contend that historical, traditional, or religious principles confirm or support your claim of discriminatory conduct by that person. But very likely you will need to have an articulable theory about why you are interested in developing evidence of a supervisor's religion if you intend to make an issue of it in discovery. If you can't articulate a sound reason for your interest in the issue, you may be denied that opportunity based on your opposing party's privacy rights among other potential reasons.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

5. Yes.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this response is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Recipients of this content should not act and refrain from acting on the basis of any content included without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue.

6. You have received many responses that give a consistent answer. I would simply add that your question is vague. I think most responders are saying that you can ask the employee who claims religious harassment or discrimination about their religion, and that is correct. That would not give you carte blanche in that regard, nor would it necessarily allow you to question persons other than the plaintiff about intimate aspects of their religion. As one of the fine responses stated, if you want to ask a question, you have to establish that the answer would likely lead to admissible evidence. If you cannot articulate a clear basis for achieving that standard, then you will likely be precluded from asking the question. Just remember that the standard just recited can be trumped by privacy objections in many circumstances.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

7. Some context would be helpful to properly evaluate.