If there were 4 names on a lease and the damage fees weren't paid and had to be sent to collections, would it be on all names?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I lived in an apartment with 3 others and at the end of the stay they sent us the damage fees of about 1200. No one paid there part of the fee, therefore it was sent to collections but it was only sent to one of the names. Just because it was addressed with one name does that mean they only have the fees under their collections? I checked my credit and I didn't see anything under my name.

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Everyone on the is jointly and severally liable (unless the lease says otherwise). Meaning everyone is responsible. The collector may elect to sue only one person. But that person would have a right to seek contribution from the others if they paid the full amount due.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

1

1

Answered . If all four of your signed the lease, all four of your are "jointly and severally" liable for damages under the lease. This means the landlord can pursue just one of you for the full amount of damages, ignoring the others. Pursuing collection of the debt and reporting the debt to credit bureaus are separate things. The landlord can do either, both, or neither. If you are concerned about your liability and your credit, you should consult an experienced lawyer in your area.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . It should be, as joint and several liability.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239