If there is a will that reads all assests are divided up equal do you need to get lawyer involved when selling house?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Greenville, SC

Will reads all assests divided up equally between 2 daughters. The daughters are wanting to sell house how do we go about doing this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan Kyle Guthrie

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To make sure that everything is transferred properly it is recommended that a probate attorney be involved with the deed of distribution and a lawyer be involved with the actual sale of the property. Too many things could go wrong by doing it yourself and if you are the personal representative there may be liability.

    Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate wills living trust special needs trusts personal injury accident and divorce and family law and entertainment law. For further information visit his website at http://www.ekglaw.com . Forbes http://blogs.forbes.com/people/evanguthrielawfirm/ Findlaw http://pview.findlaw.com/view/4647185_1 Lowcountry Senior Network http://www.lowcountrysn.com/directory.asp?cat=26 Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

    This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-... more
  2. C Steven Moskos

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can list it yourselves or you can hire a real estate agent. When you sell the property, you will need to have a lawyer involved to do the closing.

    The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While it may be possible to probate this without a lawyer, I believe you could save yourself a lot of time, frustration and perhaps even money by having a lawyer help you. I say this because you do not know how to proceed. You do not know what is involved in the process and that makes it likely you will make a misstep. It sounds like this would be a relatively cheap and easy administration. I would at least consult with a lawyer to educate yourselves on the process, so you will not be starting blind.

    Best of luck to you!

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,368 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,368 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering