If there is a typo in F1 EAD's end date. Will it assure that I am authorized to work till that date?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Hello,

I'm currently on F1 with a EAD card. I realized that the end date mentioned on the EAD card has been incorrectly printed to a later date. Actual was 02/26/14 and the printed came out as 09/26/14. I took a info pass appointment with USCIS and was informed that they wont be changing the EAD and I can continue using the same.

Now, when dealing with other paper works like filing extension or change of visa, which date will be considered?
Will the date on my EAD (even though its incorrect) confirms the eligibility of my stay?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

1

Answered . No one can assure you that. It is Service's responsibility to issue correct documents. It is your responsibility to alert them when they make a error. I would not rely on the information officer's words because if and when they hit you with allegations that you were working unauthorized even though the document says otherwise, you will not be able to prove that the office indeed told you that. Even if you can, the officer is not the Service and law is still the law. Use the document until the correct date and then ask for an extension if you are eligible.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . A USCIS error can come and haunt you later on if you rely on it.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.