If there is a not guilty plea, and the judgement shows as dismissed, is there a conviction?

Richards, TX |
Filed under: Criminal conviction

State of Texas, Class b misdemeanor, theft by check

It's only a conviction if the person was placed on probation, received jail time or received a fine. If it was dismissed than it should be expungeable.

Austin Criminal Defense and Expungements

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

2. Oftentimes hot check cases are dismissed when the accused makes restitution including fees. Sounds like that happened in this case. So, there was a charge. The person was summoned or arrested or made a no arrest bond, the person went to court, and the case was dismissed meaning that there was no conviction.

If indeed that is what happened, then the person can file a petition in civil district court to expunge the case completely off their record.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. not usually

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!

4. No.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

5. If the case was dismissed then you could not have been convicted.

Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737