If the state (MD) intercepts my taxes and apply it to child support, is that considered a payment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Silver Spring, MD

I was told by CS that if they intercept my taxes its not considered a payment. That's a bunch of malarkey because if I didn't file the wouldn't get it in the first place! And I didn't even make enough to even file so I voluntary filed so I could pay down my arrears. I'm tiring to get my license back or a restricted work license.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Richard D. Lebovitz

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This would not be considered a payment because the flaged and intercepted refund would be applied towards arrears. the only "credit" you would receive would be an over payment of arrears. The office of child support enforcement only has power to intercept for arrears and not for regular or current child support payment. You should contact the office of child support enforcement to review your current account and confirm what amount of arrears, if any you owe.

  2. Michael L Raff


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is my understanding that if they were to intercept your return it would be because you owe back child support. It is my belief that this would NOT count towards a current month child support obligation owed. However, I believe your position would be best served by having your child support agreement looked at by a Maryland licensed family law attorney who can perhaps help you to lower the amount of your monthly payments if you can not afford to be making them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,883 answers this week

2,917 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,883 answers this week

2,917 attorneys answering