If the probate process has been extended in turn does that extend the time to file any disclaimers?

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

my brothers have decided after examing their situation they do not want the house my father left to the 4 of us . They all have other aspirations and do not want to take any responsibility for the home .They made this clear to the mortgage lender, and they are not asking me to buy them out , It is the family home and I have been living in it for about 2years now , my brothers are residing in different states.. we were granted an extension on our probate can they still file disclaimers to the property thank you.
the deed has not been transfer yet .

since the answer appears to be no ... what should i be looking for an attorney to do..to remedy this

1. Dera L. Johnsen-Tracy

4

1

Answered . Wisconsin disclaimers are governed by Wis. Stat. § 854.13. In certain situations, the 9-month time period may be extended by the court. You should consult with a Wisconsin probate attorney, preferably the attorney (if any) who is handling your father’s estate, regarding the options that may be available at this time.

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Attorneys McMahon and Pippen are correct. A qualified disclaimer must be filed within nine months of a decedent's death, but there may be other ways to accomplish your goals. Please retain an attorney to assist you with this matter. Good luck to you.

3. Ruth Elaine McMahon

4

1

Answered . A qualified disclaimer must be filed within 9 months of death. Please consult the probate attorney to see if any type of disclaimer can be filed (non qualified) or whether your brothers must make gfits instead.

4. James P. Frederick

4

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. A probate lawyer should be consulted. One possibility is that your brothers could execute quit claim deeds to you.

James Frederick

5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

1

Answered . They would need their own attorneys to represent them.
    My answer would be NO-but can be accomplished in other ways.