If the police arrest me and take me to the hospital against my will without booking me, am I responsible for the ER bill?

Oklahoma City, OK |

The police believed that I was a threat to myself, though I denied the statement and was released after receiving a psychiatrist's evaluation and permission to leave. Before and after the arrest I told the officer I was uninsured and worried about the bill. Both times I asked he replied that since I was being arrested I would not be responsible for the hospital bill. I received the hospital bill in the mail and both the police and hospital are denying responsibility.

1. I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Debt Collection" for better exposure.

This attorney is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. Yes, you owe the debt. You received the services. The police were legally obligated to take you in for examination based upon their belief you were a threat to yourself. You can question whether that belief was reasonable, but the police will say it was, and the only way to get past that is to sue them for violating your civil rights, which will be a long, expensive, and probably unsuccessful case. In the meantime, you'll still owe the hospital bill - the cops aren't going to pay it and, legally, they aren't liable for it since you are the one that received the services.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.