If the police arrest me and take me to the hospital against my will without booking me, am I responsible for the ER bill?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oklahoma City, OK

The police believed that I was a threat to myself, though I denied the statement and was released after receiving a psychiatrist's evaluation and permission to leave. Before and after the arrest I told the officer I was uninsured and worried about the bill. Both times I asked he replied that since I was being arrested I would not be responsible for the hospital bill. I received the hospital bill in the mail and both the police and hospital are denying responsibility.

1. Malosack Berjis

Answered . I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Debt Collection" for better exposure.

2. Michael J Corbin

Answered . Yes, you owe the debt. You received the services. The police were legally obligated to take you in for examination based upon their belief you were a threat to yourself. You can question whether that belief was reasonable, but the police will say it was, and the only way to get past that is to sue them for violating your civil rights, which will be a long, expensive, and probably unsuccessful case. In the meantime, you'll still owe the hospital bill - the cops aren't going to pay it and, legally, they aren't liable for it since you are the one that received the services.