If the none-cust parent won't work to set up his supervised visits, does the custodial parent still have to take the child to it

Southfield, MI |

Custodial parent has tried to contact non-custodial parent to arrange his visits, he has been none responsive. Is she still required to take the child to the visit, even if the supervisor might not be there?

After several missed visits (make sure you carefully document all the missed visits in writing, in a journal or log or something like that), you should file a Motion with the Court requesting that his supervised time be suspended due to the father's non-compliance, and the extremely negative impact it has on the child (as to the father's missed visits). As a parent myself, I am truly sorry you and your child are going through this. I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

Thanks Matt, I'm trying to see if I would have to take her down to the visit, then bring her back if the supervisor's weren't there. Our referee told him that it is his responsibility to make sure the supervisor is there not mine, but I'd rather avoid a 2 hour drive just to tease her with time that she COULD have seen her dad, you know?

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

I totally understand -- no need to waste your and your daughter's time. Can you communicate with the dad by text? If yes, ask him for confirmation the supervisor will be there. If he refused to respond, file your Motion with the Court seeking suspension of the visits. Again, I am so sorry you and your daughter have to endure this. All my best, Matt Catchick.

All of the communication since he left in November has been via text formats, phone or email, not voice. He's not responded at all. Thanks Matt, I'm sorry we are all going through this. Just trying to avoid having my daughter distraught and upset on a long drive only to not get to see her dad at the end just to turn and go home.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

J. Matthew Catchick Jr.

NO child should have to endure that! You have all my sympathies.

If there is no supervisor, you have no obligation to bring the child. Be sure to document and if this pattern continues, file action seeking suspension of parenting time. Argue that the pattern of failed visits is disruptive to and not in the child's best interests.

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Child custody topics