If the non-custodial parent is incarcerated is he still obligated to pay child support?

Asked over 5 years ago - Decatur, GA

My childs father is incarcerated on drug charges. He has not been sentenced yet. I know if in prison he cannot pay his child support, but will the state (Maryland) stop his payments. Or will it add up and he will have to just owe back pay after he is released.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carolyn Annette Elsey

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Typically, the state will garnish a certain amount from his "books" while incarcerated and any earnings while inside. He could ask the state for a temporary modification for the time he's in prison. If he doesn't do so, then child support will continue piling up and he will owe (except for whatever is garnished).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,688 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,688 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering