If the judge does not accept voluntary departure, what will happen?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I understand the judge might order me deported, but what happens in that case? Do they arrest me right there in court or since I was already bonded out of jail will I be able to stay out? Any advice will help so I can get my things in order just in case.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Taking voluntary departure can have negative consequences. Consult with an immigration attorney before you consider doing so.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . You should direct all these questions to the attorney who is handling your case. If you are in removal proceedings without an attorney, you are shooting yourself in the foot. You only take VD when you indeed intend to leave the country in compliance with the VD grant. Otherwise, you NEVER ask for and NEVER agree to a grant of VD because when you do not leave, it will turn to haunt you. As to the arrest, in most immigration courts, you will not be arrested because when you are ordered deported, you have 30 days to seek an appeal.

3. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

2

Answered . Both my colleagues are correct. Seek an an attorney quickly.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com
  4. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

Answered . If the judge does not grant voluntary departure you can appeal the decision. You will have a 30 day period in which to file the appeal. If you do not file an appeal, ICE will eventually send you a letter to report in with plane tickets and your bags.