If the judge dismisses your case after you've been arrested for a bench warrant & posted the cash bail, what does that mean?

Asked over 3 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Apparently, I had a bench warrant issued from 4 yrs. ago that I was unaware of due to writing a nsf check. It was charged as a felony because of the amount but I posted the cash bail after 2 1/2 day spent in jail. I had to appear in court 3 days later & the judge asked confirmed with me how much bail I posted and asked if I wanted to forfeit the bail. When I said yes, he said case dismissed & I was told by the baliffs everything was over & I was free to go. But I'm confused about what that means for me? Does that mean I wasn't convicted of the felony charge? Will the felony, the warrant & the arrest still show on a criminal background check?? Please advise. The check was written as a deposit on a used car. The deal fell thru & I was told the check would be destroyed.

1. Randy William Ferguson

Answered . Normally not a conviction if you forfeit bond. Call local attorney.

2. Mark C Cogan

Pro

Answered . In order to be certain as to what happened with your case, contact the court and request a copy of your court documents. If your case was dismissed, that should be evident from the documents. You should not guess on something like this. If your case was dismissed, you might qualify to expunge the matter from your record. Contact a criminal defense attorney in the location where this occurred for more information. We defend people charged with criminal offenses throughout the State of Oregon. For information on the services that are offered by our firm, check out our website at www.coganlawoffice.com