If the IRS sends an employer a notice regarding an incorrect TIN and they still use it to pay employee?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The IRS notified employer in 2009 about 1 of 3 of its companies using incorrect TIN to pay employee for 2008 and they continue its use with another company they own to pay same employee in 2010, is this legal?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your question is unclear. Are you asking if the employer faces some financial exposure to the IRS for continuing to pay employees using an incorrect company TIN? Generally, any failure by a company to properly account for the withholding and payment of taxes can result in potential financial liability. If your question relates to intentional misleading of authorities to allow the employment of employees without the right to work, then greater penalties might be at risk.

    It would be helpful if you posted again but with enough context to know your precise concerns. You will probably get a better, more helpful response.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more

Related Topics

Independent contractor small business

An independent contractor is a person or business that provides goods or services under the terms of a contract or verbal agreement.

Small business employment

Small business employment involves knowing the hiring laws in your state to protect you or your business from getting sued.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,850 answers this week

3,353 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,850 answers this week

3,353 attorneys answering