Skip to main content

If the feds let you go and tell you youre under investigation how long is that process before you know if you are free or not

Freehold, NJ |

my friend allegedly set up a drug buy and when he was going for the transaction dea and fbi surrounded us. He was calling and texting these undercover agents so they had him red handed. i loaned him money in followed him in a different car i didnt ask for details but he was going to pay me back extra that was my role. I personally didnt know or care what he was buying. they question me about being his partner and they wanted me to say i knew what he was buying and all his plans. after hours and hours of them trying to get me to say what they wanted me to say to no avail they let me go and told me that I'm under federal investigation. what should how expect

i think its wrong for them to charge me with conspiracy or drug trafficking what do you think. they released 3 of us and kept him

Attorney Answers 5

  1. No way to know. Hire an attorney immediately. Doing so early on may prove helpful.

    Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

  2. There is no way to know how long you will be under investiagation but you should hire a defense attorney to deal with your situation and any possible pending charges.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

  3. They will continue investigating until they find enough evidence to charge you or until a decision is made to proceed no further with you. You should not write about anything on line and speak to no one about this except your attorney. You made some confessions here with your question. This may used by the Feds in their investigation.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  4. Could go either way. They may want you or they could think it is small potatoes. Retain an experienced criminal defense attorney or have one you can call on short notice. Do not speak to them without an attorney.

  5. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Federal crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics