If the father of my child waives his parental rights would he still pay child support?

Asked about 3 years ago - Evans Mills, NY

I am a soldier in the United States Army and I am expecting my first child. The father of my child is also active duty military and has stated he wants no part in my childs life and has threatened me as well. If i request for him to waive his parental rights would he still be obligated to support my child financially?

1. Benjamin J Lieberman

1

1

Answered . Short answer is yes he would be obligated and you would be able to enforce it in the local courts as well as through the military. I sufggest you speak to JAG if he is threatening you plus they would be able to advise you on the child support as well. Good Luck!

2. Inga L Stevens

1

1

Answered . Yes, unless another person steps in and adopts your child.