If the father of my child waives his parental rights would he still pay child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Evans Mills, NY

I am a soldier in the United States Army and I am expecting my first child. The father of my child is also active duty military and has stated he wants no part in my childs life and has threatened me as well. If i request for him to waive his parental rights would he still be obligated to support my child financially?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Benjamin J Lieberman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Short answer is yes he would be obligated and you would be able to enforce it in the local courts as well as through the military. I sufggest you speak to JAG if he is threatening you plus they would be able to advise you on the child support as well. Good Luck!

  2. Inga L Stevens

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, unless another person steps in and adopts your child.

    Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on Avvo.com. No attorney-client... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now