If the da offers 25 years can the da change it to life in prison

Asked 12 months ago - Arlington, TX

The da is out to get my friend because of personal reasons

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Raymond Ellis Daniel

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, if the defendant doesn't accept an offer the DA can withdraw it, and make a higher offer. However, if the DA's offer is life, there's nothing to lose in going before the judge without a recommendation.

  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Without knowing more that we can get into on avvo, I cannot comment on the issue of "personal reasons". I suggest that your friend needs to discuss that with his or her attorney.

    As far as the authority to change a plea offer from 25 years to life, as a practical matter, a prosecutor has the power to change the offer until it is accepted and done in court.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  3. Cambria L Lisonbee


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If there is an issue with the DA, perhaps your friends lawyer can get an offer from the judge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,513 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,513 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering