If the da offers 25 years can the da change it to life in prison

Asked 11 months ago - Arlington, TX

The da is out to get my friend because of personal reasons

1. Raymond Ellis Daniel

4

Answered . Yes, if the defendant doesn't accept an offer the DA can withdraw it, and make a higher offer. However, if the DA's offer is life, there's nothing to lose in going before the judge without a recommendation.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

2

Answered . Without knowing more that we can get into on avvo, I cannot comment on the issue of "personal reasons". I suggest that your friend needs to discuss that with his or her attorney.

As far as the authority to change a plea offer from 25 years to life, as a practical matter, a prosecutor has the power to change the offer until it is accepted and done in court.

3. Cambria L Lisonbee

Pro

3

Answered . If there is an issue with the DA, perhaps your friends lawyer can get an offer from the judge.