If the county has a creek and drainage pipe running along my property, who is responsible to fix it when it needs it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Knoxville, TN

The county has a creek that runs adjacent to my property line and flows into a 3' drainage pipe. The creek is so eroded that it is eroding my property and falling trees through eroding their root base (60+ ft trees). They refuse to fix this, but offer a program where I pay $2,800 and they pay roughly $5,600. Unfortunately, we do not have an extra (nearly) $3K sitting around, we have 4 children. I really just want ot know if the county is responsible or is this one of the "perks" of being a homeowner? This is in Knox County, TN.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . It is a perk. Sorry.

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home. Usually, home sales involve important... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,236 answers this week

3,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,236 answers this week

3,901 attorneys answering