If the buyer pays for a real property with someone else's money, is there consideration?

Asked about 1 year ago - Key Biscayne, FL

My understanding is that a deed to real property can be ineffective for lack of consideration. What if the grantee on the deed pays for the property with someone else's money? Is there consideration?

1. Carol Anne Johnson

4

Answered . Consideration. Many, many hours were spent in law school debating "consideration" and how much is sufficient consideration. My contracts professor offered us all a peppercorn to demonstrate the silliness that becomes the determination of valid consideration. If the money was given to the party for the purpose of purchasing the home (as in a parent to a child), then the exchange of money from grantee to grantor is the exchange of consideration.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, there is consideration. Consideration is something of value that goes to the seller in exchange for his delivering the deed. It does not have to be paid by the person who receives the property.

3. Geil S. Bilu

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Marshall. Consideration is a matter solely between the Grantor and Grantee in the situation that you are describing. If the grantee gives the grantor something of value in exchange for what the grantor transfers, we have consideration. It does not matter how the grantee acquired it.

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

2

Answered . Mutual promises can be consideration. It is a very ethereal issue.