If the business name on my non-compete agreement isn't technically the legal name, is the non-compete still enforceable?

Duluth, GA |

For example if the legal name is Greener Grass Lawn Service, inc, but my non-compete is listed as Greener Grass, inc, is it still enforceable or does the error make it null and void?

STATE: GA

Probably still enforceable if you knew or reasonably should know that the two businesses are, in fact, one and the same. About 3-4 years ago the GA General Assembly amended the statute governing restrictive covenants in employment contracts, making them much easier for employers to enforce, and much easier for courts to modify them to make them enforceable. So, while it may make sense for you to have an attorney review the document for a formal legal opinion, my guess is that it is still enforceable, even with the technically incorrect name.

This post is for marketing and informational purposes only. It is not intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with the reader.

2. This misnomer does not necessarily invalidate the non-compete. Contracts are usually construed consistent with the intent of the parties, if that can be proven. Assuming you intended not to compete with Greener Grass Lawn Service, Inc., it may be enforceable. You might want someone to look at the agreement itself and advise you.

3. While the misnomer may not impact the enforcement of the non-compete, there are other considerations that may impact it. A non-compete generally must be limited to a reasonable geographic scope and to a reasonable period of time. The analysis of the non-compete will be heavily dependent on the law governing the non-compete. I encourage you to contact a Georgia contract attorney to discuss the scope and validity of the non-compete.

Disclaimer If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney. The answers to questions submitted on this site do not constitute a solicitation or the provision of legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, the answers provided should not be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. You should always consult a suitably qualified attorney regarding any specific legal problem or matter. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on this response and disclaims all liability in respect to such information. The response to your question is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not constitute legal advice. No information you provide through this website is protected by attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship can only be created by the mutual assent of both parties and only after a consultation. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd cannot agree to be retained as counsel until a conflict-of-interest check is completed and a written engagement and fee agreement provided by The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd is signed. If you choose to email me, do not include any confidential, secret or otherwise sensitive information concerning any potential or actual legal matter in the email transmission. Unsolicited emails do not create an attorney-client relationship and confidential or secret information included in such emails cannot be protected from disclosure. I am only authorized to practice law in the jurisdictions in which I have been properly licensed. I am not certified by any state's or jurisdiction's board of legal specialization; nor certified as an "expert" or "specialist" pursuant to any authority governing the practice of law. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd does not through this site seek to represent anyone in a jurisdiction where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that jurisdiction.