If the Alabama Department of Public Safety chose not to suspend my license, will that decision help me in court for my DUI?

Florence, AL |

I got a DUI about a month ago and my license was taken away. I received my letter from Public Safety and it said that they chose not to suspend my license because the notice/affidavit sent to them was insufficient. My license was taped to the back of this letter so I now have it back.

1. Probably not.

Call an speak to an experienced DUI attorney in your area.

2. No, it will have no effect whatsoever. The driver license suspension under the Administrative License Suspension Act and the state's Driving Under the Influence statute are entirely separate statutes. The fact the Department did not proceed with an administrative license suspension will not affect the pending criminal case.

3. I agree with the other two attorneys. It will not make a difference.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.