Skip to main content

If status changed to F1 and can I apply for H1 again after staying 1 year out of the country? (6 years h1b completed)

Irving, TX |

My 6 years of H1B expires on Feb 18,2013.
I got admission in a college and want to change my status from H1B to F1 before my H1B expires.I want to go to Canada for stamping after my status change to F1 in June,2013.
what if I don't get visa?
In that case if I stay out of the country for more than a year.
I will be eligible for H1B for more 6 years.
because I already changed my status to F1.....can I apply for H1 again after staying 1 year out of the country?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you can get a new H1b, for up to 6 years, if you depart the US for one year.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Yes, you may.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer