Skip to main content

If something the judge said in court is not in writing in the order does it matter

Orlando, FL |

The judge ordered a temporary time sharing plan and said the kids were to stay in a certain school . Much has changed since then and the kids are no longer allowed near the house they were staying at a few days a week and I basically have the kids all the time and need to put them in the school I am zoned for because it is not just one morning and two afternoons but 5 days a week and there Dad is not helping take them or pick them up ! The school board says they are going to give to temporary guardianship since I have a pending modification of parenting plan going on ! I am just wondering if I can switch schools even if the judge said but didn't put it in writing for them to stay at certain school before I put in for modification

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The oral pronouncement of the judge is a valid court order. Purposely failing to abide by a court order "could" result in contempt of court. Enforcing a court order that didn't make it into writing may be difficult for obvious reasons. You should seek a modification to be safe.

  2. Do not disobey the court's order, the consequence could be severe, the better thing is to go in for a modification and explain your situation to the judge. You may also want to get a supportive letter from the school staff. If you do it on your own you risk contempt charges, including possible loss of custody and a fine?

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

  3. See a local lawyer. you may be able to seek an ex parte temporary order pending modification hearing, so the kids can go to the proper school.

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics